This guide provides steps for BU Staff Accounts multifactor authentication (MFA) set up for additional security protections
As for now, only BU Staff accounts are eligible for the DUO MFA system.
If you are a BU Student and want access to MFA please refer to this support article: Student MFA (Azure MFA) : Brandon University
- Your BU User Account will need a new password, that has a minimum of 15 characters in length (all other BU password rules still apply).
- If your BU account password is shorter than 15 characters, please change your password to meet or exceed the password length before you contact us (If your password is already 15 characters or longer, no change is required)
- There may be certain other elements that may effect how you enroll into DUO MFA. Please read through the 'Troubleshooting' section at the bottom of this guide, to see if any those elements impacts you.
After reviewing the above, contact BU HelpDesk to request enrollment, and please inform us of the following:
- That your BU account password has met the required character length
- Specify what device method you will be using for DUO (select one from below):
- 'DUO Mobile' Smart Phone app (mandatory if you utilize the BU VPN software app)
- Cell Phone text messaging (aka SMS)
- Phone Call contact (either by landline or cell phone number)
- TouchID (MacBook Users Only)
- Hardware Token
Once Helpdesk has been notified, you will have a couple of steps to perform depending on your chosen method:
DUO Mobile Smart Phone App
- Download the 'DUO Mobile' app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- You will receive an email from the MFA provider (DUO).
- Follow the steps in the email to complete the device enrollment.
- Go to the BU DUO Device Management Portal
- Login with your BU account username and password
- Select the Option to Add a Device
Cell Phone SMS OR Landline: Provide BU IT HelpDesk with the number you wish to have added to your account.
Hardware Token: HelpDesk will configure that for you upon the enrollment request.
For more information on enrolling your device, please visit Duo's Enrollment Support Page.
USING DUO MFA
Once you have setup your DUO Enrollment, you will start seeing MFA prompts when using accessing several services at BU.
Please see here for more information on its use: DUO - USING MFA
- If you cannot locate the 'DUO Mobile' app when searching on the on your smartphone's app store, your smartphone's operating system may be out of date. Google and Apple app stores only allow you to view and install apps that are supported for your phone. You will need either update your phone's software, or try using another smartphone device with a more recent operating system version.
- iOS devices (iPhones, iPads) = must be iOS version 12.0 or higher
- Android Devices (Google, Samsung, Sony, etc) = must be Android OS 8.0 or higher
- If you rely on or use the BU "FortiClient VPN" software in any capacity, you will be required to use the 'DUO Mobile' app method or a Hardware Token for DUO MFA; the BU VPN system has a limitation that prevent DUO from contacting users via SMS text messaging or calling a number.